Thursday, July 22, 2010

A.J. Green and the University of Georgia

ATLANTA -- Georgia associate athletic director Claude Felton says the NCAA has requested permission to conduct an inquiry on campus.

Felton told The Associated Press the instructions from the NCAA prevent him from disclosing any details about the reason for the inquiry, but added Georgia officials have assured the NCAA it will receive full cooperation.

Felton, who said the notification from the NCAA came late Wednesday afternoon, said the NCAA has asked that athletic association officials, coaches and student-athletes decline comment until the inquiry is completed.

TMZ.com reported Wednesday that Georgia is investigating whether All-America wide receiver A.J. Green attended an agent's Memorial Day weekend party in Miami that also has spurred investigations at Florida, Alabama and South Carolina.

Georgia football coach Mark Richt met with Green on Tuesday, and Green denied being in Miami that weekend, sources told ESPN.com.

On Thursday, during the SEC media days in Hoover, Ala., Green said: "We can't make any comments about it, but I've never even been to Miami."

Green, who is the No. 4 overall prospect on ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper's 2011 Big Board, is entering his junior year, and there are assumptions he will enter the NFL draft following the 2010 season.

"I have my circle, and I know who to trust and who not to trust," Green said. "I'm at the point of my life right now that I don't need to make any new friends. I've got to keep that same circle I've had since Day 1 and not let anybody in that."

No comments:

Post a Comment